The Geophysical Laboratory of The Carnegie Institution of Washington is a private, nonprofit organization engaged in basic research and advanced education in the earth sciences. The Carnegie Institution of Washington was founded in 1902 by Andrew Carnegie "to encourage, in the broadest and most liberal manner, investigation, research, and discovery, and the application of knowledge to the improvement of mankind". Since its inception in 1905, the Geophysical Laboratory has been a pioneering research organization, devoted to fields of inquiry that its trustees and staff consider among the most significant in the development of science and scholarship. The Geophysical Laboratory has been one of the world's foremost laboratories in the science of petrology, and it remained at the forefront of high-pressure and high-temperature research. Recognizing that fundamental research is closely related to the development of outstanding young scholars, the Laboratory conducts a strong program of advanced education at the predoctoral and postdoctoral levels.
History of the Geophysical Laboratory site
Geophysical Laboratory Brochure (PDF)